Tuesday, May 15, 2018

What’s Waiting For You?

This sermon was preached at St. John's Church, Decatur, AL during the Tuesday Healing Eucharist and was inspired by the following lessons:
Acts 20:17–27
John 17:1–11a 

A couple weeks back the air conditioning at our house went out. As we are renters, we were at the whims of a property manager and a landlord. It took ten days for the A/C to be restored. By the end of that time we were not all that happy. We were unable to sleep, irritable, and tired. But, this was nothing. Nothing, I tell you!

As we “suffered” without a modern convenience my mind went to some strange places. What would happen if the entire power grid went down? What if we were like Cape Town, South Africa, which is quickly running out of water? What if we, what if I had to endure something truly unbearable? This isn’t to make light of what we were going through. But, still these questions were haunting me, as I reflected upon the level of comfort in my life. There’s nothing wrong with comfort or convenience, but what happens when those are what we strive for in life?

In today’s lesson from the Acts of the Apostles, Paul cared not for his own security, but only for following the Spirit’s calling. Paul had endured trials. He had been persecuted as a traitor. The once zealous Pharisee now was working for the “other team” spreading the Good News of Christ Jesus. Perhaps the most remarkable words in this lesson arise from when Paul described the Holy Spirit’s voice in his life.

Paul trusted that he was following the Spirit’s invitation for him. He had been sharing God’s message of repentance and faithfulness. But, what was waiting for him as he continued to share this controversial message? What was waiting on him as he kept following the Spirit? How would this end? The Spirit told him that imprisonment and persecution were waiting. Remarkably Paul persisted. He kept on going. His focus was not on comfort or convenience, but on sharing the Good News of Christ! What about us?

A story from an outreach trip I took helps provide some perspective on how the Spirit calls us. Several years ago, I went with a group of students to Ecuador for a ten day mission trip. We worked hard ahead of time to learn about the culture, the country, the poverty, the politics, and the people. Once there our on the ground leader said some words that still challenge me. She stated, “The developed world is mostly interested in comfort and convenience, but the developing world focuses on justice and survival.” I was so convicted. How often do I solely focus on my own needs and wants, instead of what God is speaking in my life? My life as a child of God was transformed in that moment.

I began to wonder about how I focused my time, money, and energy. Why is my sight so limited? How is it that I am so focused on keeping up my own standard of living? Who am I completely overlooking as they cry out for justice not in a far off country but here in my own community? If I am so adamant about how it is unfair that the A/C is out at my house why don’t I get upset when I see a brother or sister who is without sufficient provision? Am I that calloused that I cannot hear the Spirit leading me? Even if it gets me in trouble, even if it leads to imprisonment or persecution, am I not to follow where the Spirit is leading?

God does not call us to intentionally seek imprisonment. Do not go away saying, “My priest wants me to go to jail.” No, we certainly are to be peaceable, respectful, and non-reactionary. However, we are bidden as followers of Jesus to speak up for the voiceless. We are to care for the downtrodden, the poor, and the imprisoned—not only by addressing their acute needs, but also through addressing the systematic sins of our society.

Paul knew that trials, imprisonment, and persecutions awaited him. Still he followed the Spirit. He kept sharing about God’s Good News—that Jesus had brought reconciliation and that we were to be faithful as God is faithful. Have I become so puny in spirit that I cannot endure hardship for the sake of sharing the same good news? The Spirit speaks to us, just as He/She/It spoke to Paul. We will not always hear comforting words from the Spirit. What is waiting for us? What is waiting for you?

If we have been given the gifts of God’s love, grace, and peace, then we have a responsibility to share that with all whom we meet. We are called by God to work through the Spirit to strive for justice. We cannot only seek comfort and convenience, but through the Spirit we are invited to care for those who are suffering in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment