Sunday, July 17, 2016

One Thing

Fridays in my line of work often end up being like Saturdays for many other peo-ple. With no events slated on my work schedule, I am free to complete all those tasks that evade me throughout the week. After a morning run, then comes the first load of laundry, next dusting the apartment, polishing some silver, time to switch the laundry, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, then another laundry switch, clean the windows, give an extra good scrubbing to the kitchen sink, more laundry, clean the bathroom, and finally fold the mountain of laundry that has amassed. If I am lucky and complete all these tasks, then I treat myself with making my way to the grocery store with my beautiful bride to pick out our menu for the week ahead. I am you see a certified Martha.

I am so much of a Martha that I had for a very long time to stop writing to-do lists. For if I wrote something down on a list I would certainly have to make sure I accomplished it. If I did not accomplish it I could not rest until I did, or I would feel a sense of dis-ease from the incomplete nature of the task. Life, as a series of tasks to accomplish, at first seems brilliant to me. There is always another some-thing on the horizon after which to chase: high school graduation, college honors, a first job, higher education, marriage, children, a house, promotion, college fund, giving back from what I have achieved, savings, and on and on. Accomplishing things has for much of my life on this earth been my primary focus. Even in the sermon delivered at Kim’s and my wedding, I was described as having the strange gift of over-functioning. And yet, when I look around and realize that all my ac-complishing has moved me no closer to true and abiding happiness, merely mo-mentary satisfaction of checking something else off the list, I realize that being a certified Martha has its drawbacks.

Some Marthas will get tired of going at it alone, like the actual Martha from the story in today’s Gospel lesson. Fed up with the lack of effort on her sister’s part, Martha protests to Jesus. “Do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?” When we are so busy by the many things going on in our lives, when we feel like Martha, then we might get flustered by everything we have put on our plate. We are no busier than people in previous generations, but on top of overloading our work schedule, we try to keep up with 1,000 friends on FaceBook, attempt to keep a home fit for the pages of Southern Living, and some of us are so bold as to raise children in the midst of all the rest of life. When we choose to make life full we get this overwhelmed sensation and eventually lash out like Mar-tha did. We blame being overwhelmed on the Joneses with whom we are trying to keep up, on a 24/7 news media to which we are unknowingly addicted, or on our sister who does not seem to lift a finger to help us. This anger though is misplaced. We are not frustrated with our neighbor, news corporations, or even our sister or brother. No! We are angry with ourselves.

There is this concept that if you work hard enough, then you will overcome any problem. If you are determined enough, then you will make it. The implied inverse of this line of thought also seems to be a given. If you are unsuccessful it is because you are not trying hard enough. To work hard is a privilege and it is an opportuni-ty, but this belief in the American Dream that hard work will inevitably lead to wealth, prosperity, and happiness is not only wrong, it is antithetical to God’s Dream. The American Dream runs counter to the Good News of Christ Jesus. Je-sus says there is one thing, and it is not elbow grease, it’s not running around com-pleting many things, it is not life as a certified Martha. In fact, it is the exact oppo-site. God’s dream for us starts with us resting at the feet of Jesus, listening for his voice speaking in the vastness of our hearts, and bucking the trend of trying to overwhelm our problems with work ethic.

I have been living this frustrated existence trying to accomplish my way into God’s good graces. When the world tells me that I have not accomplished everything I am “supposed” to have done, I actually trick myself into thinking I am bad. Maybe this is familiar to you? When we work all week, then burn through the weekend trying to catch up with our neighbor, we end up so tired on Sunday morning that it is a chore to show up here. Stop being Martha. Stop it!

Mary is the one to emulate. Mary is the one who hears the Good News and re-sponds to it. Mary spends the time ignoring the urgent things to do the important thing. Martha is not bad for doing things, she’s misguided because she gets worried and distracted by her tasks, such that she misses what is most important. A couple weeks ago we heard Jesus’ harsh words not to turn back to bury a family member or to accomplish work before following him. Following Jesus makes an immediate claim on our lives, such that nothing else should stand in the way. In a world of multitasking this not only seems counterintuitive, but also impossible. And yet, this is the focus of our lives and what will make us truly happy: focus on the One Thing. The One Thing is life in Christ. The One Thing is carving out meaningful time to be with God on a daily basis. The One Thing is loving God with every-thing we have and loving neighbor as self. We cannot do this if God is coming af-ter we have accomplished everything else on our to-do lists. For us to do the One Thing we must make it the first thing.

In my new life as a married man I am making a change. No longer am I going to spend my day off running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to ac-complish many things. Instead, I am going to put my money where my mouth is. I might fail, but I am challenging myself and anyone else to make Sabbath time a priority. Sabbath may take many different shapes and forms, but essentially it is time to be like Mary. To put down the devices. To put down the brooms and dust pans. To plan ahead so that we feel God restore us, so that we can hear that still small voice speaking, and so that we might sit at Jesus’ feet just like Mary did. For it is when we sit at Jesus’ feet that we truly realize why and for what we are to stand up, to go out into the world, and to accomplish not the many things that worry us, but the one thing that compels us. Sit at the feet of the Lord, so that you may know the One Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment