Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Learning How To Wait

Don't like waiting? Simeon and Anna can teach you!
A few days ago I was attempting to find the shortest line at the grocery store. After a quick sweep I found my opening, even at just after 5 o’clock when so many people flood the neighborhood market I got in line behind only one person. It was a self-checkout aisle, which sometimes means one has to wait a little longer if someone has a lot of alcohol in their cart or are particularly slow, but I liked my chances. I was going to be in and out! Then it happened.

The man turned around and said to me, “I’m just warning you, but I’m slow!” At first I thought about abandoning ship, but as I had my collar on and more notably there was someone who had jumped in line right after me, I said the first kind thing that popped into my head, “I’m in the business of waiting.” He nodded at me and we made some small talk for a few minutes. Then, his wife walked up. The man reiterated his earlier statement, “I told him I’m slow honey.” She laughed, and even though the person behind me in line had long moved to a quicker aisle and was now walking out the door, I stayed there. I said to the couple, “Patience is a virtue.” The wife smiled, looked at me, and her expression turned somber. She looked me dead in the eye and calmly stated, “It is, but I won’t ever ask God for it.”

Dozens of times I have heard some version of this pithy response to “patience is a virtue” expressed. It may be a virtue, but I won’t ask for it. Patience might be the most maligned of all holy behavior. Sure, celibacy is not in vogue. Yes, sobriety among Catholics and Episcopalians isn’t popular. And of course, no one really wants to take on living in poverty. Still, I hear more snide comments about patience than any of these others. Perhaps it is because we all come face-to-face with our inadequacies in the patience arena all the time. I personally have been trying to get good at patience since a young age.

As a kid, when my sister was at dance rehearsals I would run around on the playground next to the studio where she took lessons. Toward the end of the time, which always felt longer than it was, my mom would call me over to watch for my sister. I did not particularly want to sit still, so she turned it into a game. She would ask if whoever was walking down the street towards our car was my sister. “Is that huge man your sister?” “NO!” (huge laughter) “Is that old lady your sister?” “NO!” (rolling on the floor laughing). Finally my sister would arrive and I would joyfully walk with my family to the car. As I reflect back I can see that patience can be full of joy, laughter, and hope, as much as it can be seen as difficult, irritating, and uncomfortable.

Today’s we have transferred our celebration of the Presentation of Our Lord when Jesus was brought by Mary and Joseph to the Temple. This was a Jewish custom. 40 days after a first boy was born the parents would bring him to the Temple to dedicate him to God’s service. As they were good Jews Jesus’ parents brought him there to be presented. While this part of the story is fun, as we imagine the baby Jesus all swaddled up in clothes, what stands out in this story is the hopeful expectation of two Temple dwellers, Simeon and Anna.

The Holy Spirit spoke to Simeon telling him that he would not die before seeing the Messiah. Anna believed in God’s immanent coming so much that she never left the Temple, even as an eighty-four year old woman. We might imagine that spending that much time waiting to see God would wear on someone; however, Simeon’s words spell out just how hopeful, excited, and elated he was in that moment of seeing all his calling fulfilled.

“Lord you now have set your servant free, to go in peace as you have promised. For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior whom you have prepared for all the world to see. A light to enlighten the nations and the glory of your people Israel.” I say these words, known as the Song of Simeon, at night when I say compline. And, I think that slowly but surely Simeon’s witness and Anna’s example are shaping me into someone who seeks out hope as I expect God’s coming into this world.

I believe that Christ comes to each of us in our hearts, in our lives, and in our relationships with those around us. We might not see it easily or at first, but despite what all those sarcastic people will say, pray for patience that one day you will see a clear glimpse of Christ’s presence. Simeon and Anna stand out as examples of waiting and watching for Christ to come. We too are invited by God to see that the Divine One is incarnate within our lives. Be patient and we will see Christ coming!

For the sermon audio link click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment