Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Saint Behind the Saints

 On a beautiful spring day in 2003 I calmly walked into an auditorium at Vestavia Hills High School. The entire student body and many parents were gathered for the annual awards day assembly. All of the honors given to both underclassmen and seniors were kept in secret from the students until that day. Of course, parents of the students were informed so that they could attend the ceremony. Midway through the presentation the principal began describing the accolades of the Service Award recipient. I recall thinking that whoever this person was sounded a lot like me. He or she was involved in many of the same activities, served within my organizations, and even participated in my favorite service clubs. Eventually though it became clear that this person was not someone I knew, but was indeed me.

Whatever placid feelings I had at the beginning of that day had vanished and I was overwhelmed with a strange wash of emotions. I had never set out to serve others for recognition, so I felt uncomfortable walking onstage to receive an honor. And yet, I was happy that the projects that I cared about were being put in the spotlight vicariously. Then, I felt embarrassed when a wave of pride rolled over me. By the time I returned to my seat with friends congratulating me I did not know what to think. The corny phrase “Character is what you do when no one is looking” ran through my mind. Finally, I remember thinking of all the other students who deserved this pat on the back for engaging in service as much if not more than I did. Strangely this last thought has stuck with me more than anything else from that day.

Quite often the person who most deserves praise for some deed or accomplishment does not receive credit for her hard work. We rarely recall other Civil Rights Movement leaders that stood beside and behind the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or Mrs. Rosa Parks. We remember names like Whitney, Morse, or Bell for their inventions, but easily brush aside anyone who laid the groundwork for them or assisted them as they discovered something novel. We forget so easily the names of musicians who left bands like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, or Fleetwood Mac right before they made it big. Most times it seems the ones who are working in the background or who support the big names are not remembered in the same way as those who were in the right place at the right time.

Recently we celebrated Basil the Great in the Church. Often he is given credit for being the founder of monasticism within the entire eastern branch of Christianity. However, he did not do this on his own. In fact, without his sister Macrina the Younger whom we remember today, Basil would have known very little about running a community of monastics.

Macrina lived an extraordinary, inspirational life that often gets overshadowed by her brothers’ fame. You probably thought that was a typo as I wrote brothers’ fame, instead of brother’s fame, but Macrina had multiple brothers whom we remember as saints. In total she had 10 brothers and though she was the eldest and perhaps the most innovative, spiritual, and grounded Basil, along with Gregory of Nyssa and Peter became bishops! All of her siblings came to her though to learn the teachings of Jesus and how to live out a life devoted to Christ.

When Macrina’s father died, she and her mother built a Christian community on family land. They lived a life without possessions, brought in women who were starving, and even taught many of these women to be dedicated followers of Jesus.[1] Her example inspired her brothers to renounce possessions and start Christian communities on their own. Unfortunately, like so many other times throughout history we remember the man, but not the woman behind the man. In this case, Macrina was the saint behind the saints!

For us who seek to live lives inspired by, transformed through, and enveloped within the community of God—that is the Trinity—we would do well to learn a lesson from Macrina and how she has been remembered. Nothing we do is for the credit of it on its own. Often someone else will receive the praise we so selfishly desire. Truthfully though if we are to thrive in the life of God we must seek not our own glory but God’s. That is what Macrina did and it is what we will do if we walk in the way of Christ. May you too be a saint behind the saints. Amen.




x
[1] Kiefer, James. "Macrina." Mission of Saint Clare. July 19, 2017. http://www.missionstclare.com/english/July/morning/19m.html (accessed July 19, 2017).

No comments:

Post a Comment