Monday, April 3, 2017

Looking Ahead To Turmoil

When I first met my wife she was not a fan of the TV show the Office (the American version). In fact, I can remember that she was very skeptical of the fact that I loved the series so much. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE? After a few persistent nudges, she took me up on watching a few episodes, as I said, "It is an acquired taste." Fairly quickly, she too fell in love with the goofy comedy. Fast-forward to now when almost everyday we watch at least one episode together. At this point we both know the episodes so well that we do that really annoying thing when we speak the lines along with the characters... I know, I know we are ridiculous! One thing I have noticed though is that we know the story lines so well that all of the drama of the episodes has been taken out.

Knowing what will happen throughout each episode has a way of comforting me. I do not have to worry that a plot twist will arise that I do not see coming. Perhaps I will notice a new detail, but I am not at risk of being surprised in a negative way by the comedy series. However, a danger exists in knowing the story too well. Often the show loses my interest and I fall asleep only to be woken up by the chipper theme music at the end of the show. As I look ahead to this coming Sunday, Palm Sunday, I wonder and worry if I might do the same thing with Holy Week.

We are about to enter Jerusalem again with Jesus. Once more we will hear the story of Jesus' Passion. Another time we will begin our Holy Week pilgrimage. Having heard the story so many times before if I am not careful I will simply say the lines along with the Gospel writers and lull myself to sleep in the process. This is not my hope at all. I want to be alive, awake, and aware of what is happening, but I have questions and concerns that Holy Week will just drift by and I will be the same on April 17th as I am today.

How can I be completely present to the story unfolding even as I already know what is going to happen? How will I prevent myself from skipping ahead in the story to get to the good part? How do I let myself feel even the most horrid details of this story to walk with Jesus along the way?

I believe the answer to these questions is actually simpler than I sometimes try and make it. A friend of mine recently observed something I found fascinating. He said, "Some people will say, 'Oh man, it's Monday again!' or 'I don't want to eat that I had it yesterday.' And, I find this interesting because when we say these things we missing that every day, every minute, every second is new." The worry I have gets cut down at the knees by this perspective.

The present moment is the only time we ever live. This Holy Week has never happened before. I have never heard these stories in the way I will hear them this year. Yes, we are participating in something ancient and beautiful and handed down from generation to generation, but it is something that is also completely new. This Holy Week may we hear these words afresh, may we hear the ultimate Good News and be transformed, and may we walk with Jesus on his way to the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment