Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A New Name



I always wanted a nickname. Some would technically say that because my first name is John and I go by my middle name, then Seth is a nickname. I do not feel that way. When I first started playing sports I thought I would get a pseudonym, but no. In the 5th grade Mr. Mac, the coolest of elementary school teachers, gave his entire class nicknames throughout the year. I was not in his class. Nicknames though are not something one can force. It has to just happen!



When I was in high school I finally got another name. My friends Brad, Trey, and I played together on the J.V. soccer team. One weekend when we had a lot of games we all spent the night at Brad’s house. Like most high school age kids we had a strong humorous side. We had even begun to create our own “secret” language. Really we just replaced all the vowels in words with an “A” sound. So, instead of being called Seth, they called me “Sarth”. I am unsure if this would have stuck as a nickname; however, Brad’s mom misheard what the others were calling me and she began calling me “Sarge”. After everyone stopped laughing at the mispronunciation of our made up language the nickname stuck. Of course, I had no ROTC experience, I was not all that connected to the military, and honestly felt a little odd about the whole thing, but I had my nickname.



Most of us, probably all of us, do not get to select our given names. Rarely do any of us get to choose our nicknames. For something so intimate and personal it is a bit odd that we have no say in the matter. In today’s Gospel lesson from John we hear the moment when Jesus gives to Simon a new name. Jesus nicknames him “Cephas” or “Peter”, which means “The Rock” or “Rocky”. Given how the story unfolds, this new name seems anything but fitting. So what can we learn from the story of Simon and his nickname Peter?



Throughout the Gospel accounts Simon-Peter oscillates from insightful disciple to denying devil. Simon-Peter acclaims that Jesus is the Messiah in one breath and in the next tries to manipulate Jesus’ mission. Simon-Peter humbly witnesses the Transfiguration, then attempts to hold onto the moment for forever by building booths. Perhaps the biggest swing in Simon-Peter’s life comes when he first denies Jesus three times before his teacher’s death only to affirm his love of Jesus after the Resurrection. So what do we learn from Jesus’ nicknaming this unsteady presence “The Rock”?



We learn that it is not Simon that makes himself steady, but instead it is the love of God that transforms him into the rock on which the Church is founded! On the beach at the end of John’s Gospel account Jesus asks Peter if he loves him three separate times. After Peter acknowledges his love each time Jesus invites the disciple to take care of the flock. Without the shaky missteps, the naïve questions, and the denial Simon would not have come to fully embrace the love of God, which made him Peter. God does not confine this transformation merely to Simon, nor did God stop doing this long ago, but rather all of us are invited to stop relying so much on getting our own way.



We will all surely make mistakes on our journeys. Trusting in God on a daily basis stands out as a particularly difficult task. And yet, what happens when we live in the love of God? We, like Simon, receive a new name. We are given new gifts. Even through our mess ups we find new skills and talents. As the old saying goes, “God does not call the qualified, God qualifies the called.” I do not know what your new name will be. Heck, I do not even know what God has in store for me. However, I trust that God calls each of us by name, maybe even a new name, and God yearns for each of us to be part of God’s story in this world. What is God’s nickname for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment