Monday, October 21, 2013

Luke 18:9-14: 2,000 Years Later the Religious Folk Are Still Pharisees



Luke 18:9-14 (NRSV):


Jesus told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, `God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, `God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."


In yesterday's sermon on Luke 18:1-8, the Rev. Evan Garner pointed out how even though we are drawn to looking at the red-lettered words (those spoken by Jesus) in certain Bibles, often times we need those black words to help us understand what is going on in a certain text (full sermon text here). Like the parable from last week's gospel, this parable is set up as an instructive message for a certain group of people. Last week it was a parable for disciples who need to pray always and not lose heart, this week Jesus' instruction focuses on those who trust in themselves that they are righteous and regard others with contempt. If I didn't know any better I would think that Jesus was aiming this story at the judge from earlier in Luke 18. Yet, if I leave myself out of those who often thinks of themselves as righteous regarding others with contempt, then I end up being just like this Pharisee, and, perhaps I am not alone in this.


According to this article from Christianity Today, the Barna Group found that 1 in 2 Christians today hold attitudes and act in ways that are characterized by self-righteousness. The president of the research foundation, David Kinnaman, tends to think that because of how many Christians live their lives, others see them in much the same way as Luke portrays the Pharisees. In Kinnaman's words they "do the 'right' thing, but with improper motives." The Barna Group's survey results seem to show that even though Christians love to point to Pharisees as the antithesis of who Jesus wanted his followers to be, we very often act just like them. Perhaps it's not quite hypocrisy, but rather just going through the motions, so that we can be proven right by our "rules" as Christians. So what do we do as followers of Christ?


Jesus ends the above gospel, "All who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted." The culmination of this parable appears a bit like a dog chasing her own tale (you humble yourself, which might make you feel exalted, which in turn humbles you), yet the words that Jesus leaves us with tends to make me believe that we are called to always start from a place of humility. This means that none of us begins from a position of judgment, power, and self-righteousness, but rather we start with curiosity about our own lives. Where are the places where I have separation between God and me, between my neighbor and me, and even between who I am called to be and where I am now? To observe our own faults, to recognize our own separation (that is sin), and to be inquisitive as to how we turn back is the beginning of a humble walk with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment