Sunday, June 2, 2024

Resurrecting Sabbath

Where do you find holy restoration?


1 Samuel 3:1-10(11-20)
Psalm 139:1-5, 12-17
2 Corinthians 4:5-12
Mark 2:23-3:6

© 2024 The Rev. Seth Olson

This sermon was preached at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Apostles on June 2, 2024 and a video of it may be found here


Holy God, let my words be your words and when my words are not your words, let your people be wise enough to know the same. Amen.


When I was about 10 years old, I accidentally practiced Sabbath. It was the summer time, and I had already attended my camp sessions, soccer camp, and the like. A good friend had spent the night, but he had to go home. It was a Saturday morning, and I had nothing to do. I went to my parents to figure out something to do, but that didn’t work. I was bored. 


I was so bored that I said to my mom, “I am going to die of boredom.” Spoiler alert: I did not. Instead I tried to find something to do. There was nothing on TV. I had no new toys. I felt stuck. So, I did something unusual. I did nothing. 


Well, I say I did nothing, I was looking out a big picture window in my childhood home. I saw birds soaring, squirrels bouncing, insects hovering—later the trees would sway as a thunderstorm rolled through. I cannot say that I enjoyed my accidental dabbling in Sabbath at the time, but nonetheless something in me shifted because of that experience. At that time I was not familiar with our Gospel lesson for today, but even then I was learning that though we humans are not made for the Sabbath, the Sabbath is made for us and for our healing. 


Christians though normally do not uphold Sabbath as a laudable practice. This stems from those in the Early Church rejecting the Jewish mandate of a total prohibition of work, specifically on Saturday. When Christ came, early Christians argued, the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament had been fulfilled. And, while this makes theological sense, what our forebears did was throw the baby out with the bath water. Certainly, we do not need punitive laws restricting work—like how the Pharisees were deriding Jesus for his disciples’ picking the heads off of grains—and yet, we as human beings benefit greatly from intentional rest. Let’s examine some ways to incorporate Sabbath into your life, but first let’s clarify what Sabbath is and why it is useful.


The day known as Sabbath, which we inherited from our Jewish siblings is Saturday. According to Exodus 23:12 there was to be a complete prohibition on work. As Christians, we observe the Great Sabbath on Holy Saturday when Jesus either rested from his work of salvation. When Christians proclaimed that Jesus had fulfilled the law freeing them from following all the ceremonial bits of the Old Testament the religiously significant day became Sunday, the Day of Resurrection. Except to some Christians.


There are some Christians for whom Sabbath practices still apply. Seventh Day Adventists and a few other Christian groups still worship on Saturday. Plus, there are some called Sabbatarians (yes, that’s a real word) who still apply many of the Old Testament commandments about Sabbath in their own lives. These are typically Scottish and English Calvinists who have prohibitions on work deeming Sunday to be the Christian Sabbath. Even in our own culture many of us will recall a time when not much was open on Sundays because of “blue laws” meant to restrict activity on the Day of Resurrection. 


Historically, these have been some practices of Sabbath within the Judeo-Christian Tradition. And yet, these do not seem to capture the essence of what Sabbath is or what it can be in our current age. When I say time is ____, how do you fill in the blank? Money, correct? Our culture often proclaims, cash is king and time is money, so let’s fill every second of every day with opportunities to earn more dollars. This is the way of our world. Now, I am not against work. Purposeful work, sometimes called vocation, is crucial to the health of our souls, but consumerism and capitalism have made it such that even most of our pastimes come with a price tag. 


Want to watch something? It costs money. Want to go somewhere? That costs money too. Want to have a fun experience, like a concert or sporting event? These will cost you even more. And, if you think, well I will simply do something free like see how my friends are doing on social media, even here there is a cost. Often now, when you do not see a price tag associated with an app or service, the companies are making money off of you. You are the commodity that is being sold. Your information is being auctioned off to other businesses. 


When the point of a system is to make money, then of course there will be insidious ways that people use to get an advantage. I am not against entertainment or events, nor do I think social media is without its merits, nor should we throw out capitalism off hand. Still, our relentless ways require an overhaul. Sabbath provides an alternative way. It is a salve in which holy rest provides for our entire selves—body, mind, heart, and soul—an opportunity to experience restoration. 


The way I imagine Sabbath, it is a period of time, up to 24 hours, when we reset our lives, recalibrating our internal compass, such that we are attuned to God and God’s way of living, moving, and being on this journey of life. For some it may mean abstaining from screens, for others it may mean intentionally sitting down to enjoy a movie with the whole family. For some Sabbath might be taking a break from cooking, for others it may mean preparing a meal intentionally. What I am saying is there is no one way to sabbath


With that said, here are 3 ways to help in establishing Sabbath times: 

+Begin and end your Sabbath period in prayer. Ask God to help you to experience restoration.

+Prepare ahead of time for this time period. Those in the Jewish Faith will prepare all week to ensure that the Sabbath happens. This can be helpful too. For us to enjoy restoration requires to offload those nagging worries that may hound at us if we do not attend to them in some way ahead of time.

+Finally, be gentle and open. Sabbath is not a competitive endeavor. It is a gift God gives to us, even if we are not good at it. So, as you experiment with Sabbath be kind to yourself and open to how you might need restoration. One week it may be actually doing nothing. Another it might be reading something that fills your soul. Another it might be reconnecting with a soul friend. 


Jesus tells us that Sabbath is not something we humans were made to excel in practicing. Regardless, God gifted us with Sabbath. God even modeled for us a period of rest when laying the foundations of Creation. When we follow in this way taking time to experience restoration of body, heart, mind, and soul we practice Sabbath. May we find times to rest, so that we may continue to work together to reveal Christ’s Reign already present among us. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment