Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Step Out of the Shadow

This sermon was preached on the transferred Feast Day of Saint Andrew, Apostle of Jesus. The readings which inspired the sermon were the following:
Romans 10:8b-18
Matthew 4:18-22
Psalm 19 or 19:1-6

Here in Decatur there are a couple of pertinent questions that people ask someone whom they’ve never met. “Where are you from?” “What church do you go to?” and “Who are you kin to?” It took me some time when I moved here to get accustomed to such questions. While all three of these inquiries are helpful, today I want to zoom in on the third.

Understanding family connections is crucial. As a parishioner once told me, “Make sure you who someone is related to in the church before you say anything about anyone else.” While I would take it further to challenge myself and us all to speak with kindness about everyone, I get that parishioner’s sentiment. Family connection is crucial, especially here in the South. This lesson emerged in my own childhood going to camp.

When I first went to Camp Winnataska I loved it. I wanted to go back any chance I had. However, I wasn’t the only one in my family who had a great love for camp. My great grandmother was one of the first campers there. My grandmother and mother had gone there. And, my sister, who is eight years older than me, was an older camper, then a leader, and a staff member there. So, even though I had my own relationship with camp, I was almost always introduced as Elin’s younger brother.

Over the years though, that introduction changed. When my sister stopped being on staff and served as a director (only one week of the summer) the connection shifted. My elder sibling was introduced as Seth’s older sister. While this may not seem like much, that shift made a huge impact on me. I had stepped out of the shadow of my sister and had my own identity. Similarly I believe we must take the saint whom we celebrate today out of the shadow of his brother to celebrate him for who he truly was.

Today we remember Saint Andrew, an Apostle of Jesus. Often we recall first and foremost that Andrew was Simon Peter’s brother. However, as soon as we do this, we overlook almost every aspect of Andrew’s life and ministry. In doing this we miss the example that today’s saint gives us for living a life dedicated to living out of Christ’s grace and love.

Andrew, according to Saint John’s telling of the story—and we like Saint John here—was a disciple of John the Baptist. One day the Baptizer pointed out Jesus to Andrew and another disciple, saying “Behold the Lamb of God” (John 1:29). Instead of hanging back, and perhaps waiting on his brother, Andrew began following Jesus around, spending time with Him, and even believing Him to be the Messiah. Andrew so quickly believed that he went to his brother Simon to share this good news with him. Without Andrew, we would have no Simon Peter.

Saint Andrew was the first disciple, an evangelist to the disciples, and one who stayed right outside of the spotlight. However, if we simply forget his ministry, then we may forget our own calling to bring others to Christ. When many were hungry and had nothing to eat, Andrew found a little boy with fish and loaves. When in Matthew’s Gospel account Jesus called Andrew he immediately responded by leaving his fishing nets to follow Our Lord. When in his latter ministry he faced persecution and eventually martyrdom Andrew did not shy away from living into his calling.

We sometimes make it out to say that Andrew lived in the shadow of Simon Peter. We might sometimes introduce Andrew as Peter’s brother. However Andrew’s pioneering belief in Jesus, his ability to bring others to Christ, and his lasting faith even in persecution makes him stand alone. Saint Peter? Yes, that’s Saint Andrew’s brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment